Sunday, June 27, 2010

Two thousand Miles and Many Worlds Away...

I realize that it has been an awfully long time since our last post. The good news is, we have been too busy to use this blog! In the time that we last updated to now, we have moved out of the collective, gave away nearly all of our belongings (kept books and instruments) and hopped a train to Cascadia. So many changes ahead.

One the many great things about this bio-region is the bio-region itself. We live in a temperate rain forest, in the coastal slant of a mountain range called the Cascades. This lends itself to be a wet climate for most of the year, but when the summer hits, the world is vibrant with all the colors of the rain forest. Fair has really taken off into a new world. She reads whenever she is not physically seeking out plants and animals and because of her love of reading, she can identify hundreds of plants and birds, tell you the mating coats of ducks, the edible parts of native plants and what to avoid. Whitman has taken up reading, but would much prefer to sneak a game in on the computer at this point. It is a fun little game in and of itself, the game of hide and seek with mom and dad. He has become quite the cunning child.

We have made friends of other families with wild children, which is really great and met a lot of wonderful people. The kids and ourselves miss our tribe, but will be with them again one day I am sure. Alright, enough catch-up.

Having children around, whether they are yours or not, if they are in your community, you will notice a big lesson about life. Work destroys community. I have had to take on a more intensive work schedule the past 6 months, and that has taken me from the family a lot, with travel time on the bus, it pretty much kills my whole day each day that I work. Now Angela is working and I am home and she is experiencing the same thing. This is dreadful, to say the least. After my 6 month work sentence, I do not feel as connected to the kids, or to Angela, and I fear that this connection is going to be a hard one to reform. If we take into account all that we learn in those young ages, we should be angry at our parents for abandoning us for money, even though they did it with the best of intentions, they acted out of fear, and now I know that fear. I know it, because I learned it. If I had learned how to survive outside of the economy as a child, I would be able to pass this on, but since I did not learn that then, I am making it my immediate goal to do it now. I want my children to learn as much about living and as little about fear as possible, and I find that I am passing that fear lesson on, without even knowing it.

As these posts come back, and I look forward to them doing so, you will read a lot about becoming a nomadic family liberated from the clutches of work and basking in the embrace of pure joy. Take that, boss!

No comments:

Post a Comment